Module C: Representation and Text
The key thrust of this module is the notion of representation. Regardless of the elective being studied, you are being asked to consider the "various representations of events, personalities and situations". Additionally, you need to consider the "medium of production, textual form, perspective and [how the] choice of language influence meaning." English Stage 6 Syllabus, p.48; English Prescriptions, p.20 Essentially, you should consider the techniques being used by the composer to create meaning and what perspective and agenda they have or are putting forward in representing their subject - the event, personality or situation.
Elective 1 Rubric: Representing People And Politics
The keywords of the rubric give the student a better idea of what the module is about and in addition, is the information the examiners use to create the HSC question. In your set and related texts, the English Prescriptions 2015 - 2020 require you to:
- "explore and evaluate various representations of people and politics";
- consider how "texts represent individual, shared or competing political perspectives, ideas, events or situations";
- analyse representations of people’s political motivations and actions;
- analyse the impact (effect, repercussions) political acts may have on individual lives or society more broadly ; and
- develop your "understanding of how the relationship between various textual forms, media of production and language choices [i.e. of the composer(s)] influences and shapes meaning."